“We don’t get to a choice about what hand we are dealt in this life. The only choice we have is our attitude about the cards we hold and the finesse with which we play our hand.” Quote from It’s Easier Than You Think, Sylvia Boorstein
I recently led a class for 50+ men and women whose life circumstances caused them to seek help to plan their next steps for work, contribution or enrichment. Half of the participants were unemployed and came because they wanted support for finding full or part time work in this down economy. The second half were looking for ways to contribute or enjoy their leisure time. Many were making shifts and tradeoffs in how they live in order to stay within their financial means. The class offered tools for how to vision, prioritize and plan for today and the future.
However for many participants the biggest learning was the Way they manage their circumstances…the importance of their attitude and choosing to stay in the driver’s seat for their life.
Rather than write an extensive article this month, instead I’m sending you a valuable article. I hope that it will inform you about some of the financial and job facts that the 50+ generation is facing as well as the ways others are dealing with challenging work and financial circumstances. I suggest that you take a few moments to:
1. Read the article at http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/employment/2010-08-10-1Aworkinglonger10_CV_N.htm and
2. Do a little self reflection.
After you’ve read the article see how you answer a few provocative questions that will guide you to answer the bigger question…..How will I play the hand life gives me?
· What point of view do I have when I start each day?
· What might be the best perspective to take to stay open to the positive opportunities that might show up?
· What actions am I taking daily to move me closer to meeting my needs as well as my dreams?
· How am I showing gratitude for the goodness that I do have in my life?
Don’t put your life on hold because of challenging circumstances. Give me a call at 707.824.8836 or email me at email@example.com and let’s talk over what’s on your mind.
I’d love to have you share your reactions to this article as well as tell us about the positive steps you’re taking to survive and thrive during this challenging time. Please leave a comment below.